ON THE SHELF - CLEANSERS I LOVE
Updated: Mar 26
Cleansers are one of the fundamental steps in any good skincare routine. The daily cleansing ritual is a therapeutic way to rid the skin of the daily grime and pollution whilst prepping the skin for any serums or actives such as retinol or AHA's that follow.
Some tips for cleansing....
- If you are using foundations or BB cream always do a double cleanse using an oil-based cleanser followed by another cleanser of your choice, this will ensure that all make up is removed properly.
- Avoid harsh cleansers that dry the skin. If your face feels ‘clean’ or tight it could be stripping the skin of its natural oils.
- Avoid cleansers that have Sodium Lauryl Sulphates or SLSs as these can damage the outer layer of the skin and cause irritation.
- I love to cleanse my face twice a day but in my opinion the only necessary cleanse is in the evening before you go to bed. If you feel that your skin could benefit from a morning cleanse, then go for it.
- Find a cleanser that suits your skin type and one that restores and balances your skin's natural microbiome.
Here are some of my favourite cleansers I have been using...
The Make Up Remover Cleanser
COSMEDIX PURITY SOLUTION NOURISHING DEEP CLEANSING OIL
You will always find this cleanser on my trolley and is the first stage of any treatment with me. Formulated with a blend of plant oils including Argan, Moringa and Olive it easily glides over the skin allowing you to work the the cleanser across the face whilst also providing the foundation for a relaxing facial massage. The cleansing oil breaks down excess oil making it a perfect cleanser to remove foundations, BB creams and sunscreens.
Work onto dry skin before emulsifying with damp hands and then rinse off.
The Foaming Gel Cleanser
Generally I am not a gel/foaming cleanser gal, but I was pleasantly surprised with how nourishing and balanced this Esse cleanser is. A brand that is founded on probiotic skincare, its all about boosting the skin’s immunity and protecting the complex ecosystem of microbes that live on the skin’s surface. It foams up which gives the feeling of a deep clean but without drying the skin or causing any irritation or tightness, something that I find typical with many other cleansers in this category. With a ph balance of 4.5 it supports the barrier function on the skin perfectly without stripping the natural lipid barrier of the skin. Peppermint and Spearmint oils give the skin a refreshing tingle and improves micro-circulation whilst the Aloe Vera is soothing and anti-inflammatory.
The cleanser is bright green and smells distinctively of menthol due to Tea Tree and Peppermint essential oils. With 5% Lactic acid it gently exfoliates the skin from dead skin cells and unclogs congested pores whilst improving uneven texture and discolouration. Ideal for those with congested skin or pigmentation issues.
Apply to dry skin and emulsify with water. For a more exfoliating cleanse, apply to dry skin and leave for a minute before working into the skin with damp hands.
The Everyday Cleanser
This is a gentle cleanser that makes your skin feel so clean and nurtured without drying or stripping the skin. This is ideal for those concerned about pollution or grime, as it offers a lovely deep cleanse removing impurities. I use this as my daily cleanser, its a true bathroom staple and suitable for all skin types.
The Oily Acne Cleanser
ENVIRON BOTANICAL INFUSED SEBU-WASH
The magic ingredient is salicylic acid (aspirin), which cuts through oil removing dirt and dead skin. This cleanser is ideal for those with an oily acne breakouts or congested skin rather than those suffering with hormonal, dry acne. Use twice per day but if your skin becomes too dry, then use every evening or every other evening.